CloudDirect for Amazon Web Services
CloudDirect provides a cost-effective, secure, and private connection to your Amazon Web Services.
What are the benefits of using Atlantic Metro's CloudDirect Service?
- Private connectivity to Amazon Web Services.
- Increased levels of security.
- Affordable rates and reduced costs for data transfer.
- Faster connection speeds ranging from 10 Mbps–10 Gbps.
- Consistent network performance.
- Improved application performance.
CloudDirect: AWS Virtual LAN Link (VLL)
- Connectivity to AWS Direct Connect via an existing Metro Ethernet over Copper or Fiber service from Atlantic Metro
- Cost-effective option for lower traffic users that need a secure connection.
- Can be layered on existing Atlantic Metro connectivity without the need to add capacity to the existing service. (Traffic on a VLL cannot exceed the speed of your existing Atlantic Metro connection and does not add capacity to your Metro Ethernet services.)
- Simultaneous access to both AWS Direct Connect and the public Internet via Atlantic Metro's Metro Ethernet network.
CloudDirect: AWS Dedicated LAN Link (DLL)
- Connectivity to AWS Direct Connect via a fully dedicated Ethernet circuit.
- Best suited for businesses that need an independent circuit to access their AWS Cloud.
- Available in all of Atlantic Metro's New York data center locations, carrier hotels, and local Metro Ethernet loops.
Atlantic Metro provides you with the connection medium to reach the AWS Direct Connect Network. Network Transfer usage is directly billed to your existing AWS account at a significantly discounted rate of $0.03 per GB.
(Pricing does not include Metro Ethernet Local Loop or cross connect fees.)
For example, if you connect your existing Colocation cabinet with Atlantic Metro to the AWS Availability Zone, the following charges would apply:
Transport Medium Fee(Invoiced by Atlantic Metro)
Data Transfer Fee(Automatically Invoiced to your existing AWS account)
AWS Direct Connect
AWS Direct Connect makes it easy to establish a dedicated network connection from your premise to AWS. Using AWS Direct Connect, you can establish private connectivity between AWS and your datacenter, office, or colocation environment, which in many cases can reduce your network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections.
AWS Direct Connect lets you establish a dedicated network connection between your network and one of the AWS Direct Connect locations. Using industry standard 802.1q VLANs, this dedicated connection can be partitioned into multiple virtual interfaces. This allows you to use the same connection to access public resources such as objects stored in Amazon S3 using public IP address space, and private resources such as Amazon EC2 instances running within an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) using private IP space, while maintaining network separation between the public and private environments. Virtual interfaces can be reconfigured at any time to meet your changing needs.
When to use AWS Direct Connect
There are several use cases for which AWS Direct Connect is desirable, including:
- Working with Large Data Sets – Transferring large data sets over the Internet can be time consuming and expensive. If you are like most businesses, you have procured just enough bandwidth to meet your web and email needs, and share that Internet connection across the entire enterprise. When you use the cloud, you can find that transferring large data sets can be slow because your business critical network traffic is contending for bandwidth with your other Internet usage. To decrease the amount of time required to transfer your data, you could increase the bandwidth to your Internet service provider, which frequently requires a costly contract renewal and a minimum commitment. With AWS Direct Connect, you can transfer your business critical data directly from your datacenter, office, or colocation environment into and from AWS bypassing your Internet service provider and removing network congestion. Further, AWS Direct Connect's simple pay as-you-go pricing, and no minimum commitment means you pay only for the network ports you use and the data you transfer over the connection, which can greatly reduce your networking costs.
- Real-time Data Feeds – Applications that use real-time data feeds can also benefit from using AWS Direct Connect. For example, applications such as voice and video perform best when network latency remains constant. Network latency over the Internet can vary given that the Internet is constantly changing how data gets from point A to B. With AWS Direct Connect, you control how your data is routed, which can provide a more consistent network experience over Internet-based connections.
- Hybrid Environments – AWS Direct Connect can help you build hybrid environments that satisfy regulatory requirements requiring the use of private connectivity. Hybrid environments allow you to combine the elasticity and economic benefits of AWS with the ability to utilize other infrastructure that you already own.
- Reduces Your Bandwidth Costs – You can reduce your bandwidth commitment to your Internet service provider by transferring data to and from AWS directly. All data transferred over your dedicated connection is charged at the reduced AWS Direct Connect data transfer rate.
- Consistent Network Performance – You choose the data that utilizes the dedicated connection and how that data is routed which can provide a more consistent network experience over Internet-based connections.
- Compatible with all AWS Services – AWS Direct Connect is a network service, and works with all AWS services that are accessible over the Internet.
- Private Connectivity to your Amazon VPC – You can use AWS Direct Connect to establish one or more private logical connections between your on-premise network and your Amazon VPC while maintaining network isolation.
- Elastic – AWS Direct Connect provides 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps connections, and you can easily provision multiple connections if you need more capacity. You can also use AWS Direct Connect instead of establishing a VPN connection.